by Sara Light-Waller
The manifesto of Urban Sketchers International (the official gathering place for urban sketchers all over the world) explains their mission like this:
- We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
- Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
- Our drawings are a record of time and place.
- We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
- We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
- We support each other and draw together.
- We share our drawings online.
- We show the world, one drawing at a time.
As you can see, that covers a lot of ground! And it’s a good directive, fostering international comradery amongst artists.
I’ve been an active sketcher all my life, but an Urban Sketcher only for the past eight years. I draw all sorts of things, whatever strikes my fancy on that particular day.
Here are some of my favorite urban sketches.